3D Laser Scanning preserves ALL the physical evidence.
Imagine a tool that could effectively capture the entire scene, including all fixed objects, vehicles and physical evidence, and bring it into your expert’s lab for in-depth analysis. 3D Laser Scanning is a revolutionary scene and evidence mapping system that automatically takes millions of precision 3D measurements, effectively preserving the 3D scene in exacting detail for later use in analysis and 3D modeling. PSI pioneered the use of 3D Laser Scanning in Forensic Analysis in 1999, and has used it on over 150 cases since.
3D Working Model is the Ultimate Analysis Tool
In addition to providing the highest level of measurement accuracy, the 3D Laser Scanner offers the expert a unique opportunity – to create a Virtual Accident or Crime scene (3D Working Model) and use this model to perform exacting reconstruction analyses directly within the computer. The benefit of this approach lies in the computer’s power to precisely control all the dynamic elements and visualize the results of different input assumptions. This allows the expert to test each assumption and hypothesis and continuously refine the reconstruction until the best match to the physical evidence is achieved. PSI pioneered the use of the 3D Working Model and uses it extensively in the following areas:
- Vehicle dynamics - Derived from yaw marks documented via Laser Scanning and analysis provided by Defense expert Tom Shelton. PSI uniquely located the vehicle dynamics within the laser-documented incident scene to provide the basis for determining the officers’ positions relative to a moving vehicle.
- Officers shooting locations - Derived from spent cartridge casings and secondary live-fire tests of specific firearms and ammunition. PSI correlates these positions to the known evidence locations within the 3D Working Model to derive accurate Officer locations at the time their firearms were discharged.
- Timing of rounds fired - Derived from live-fire testing performed with each officer and matched directly to laser-assisted ballistic trajectory analysis from shooting positions of all parties involved.
- PSI uses this data to synchronize the officers discharged rounds with the location, speed and trajectory of moving vehicles or other shooter's positions.
- Synchronization of vehicle or moving shooter positions and officer actions -Derived from ballistic analysis and expert human performance data provided.
- PSI uses the Working Model to assist the expert in refining when the shooting occurred and when it stopped, relative to other individual's location.
Once the analysis is completed and checked to ensure it has maintained fidelity to All known physical parameters, the results are Visualized using state of the art 3D Forensic Animation and easy to decipher charts, graphs and slides showing all parties shooting positions, timing of events and ballistic trajectory analysis.